Every month the Student Press Law Center publishes a list of paid journalism internships. Here are some internships with upcoming deadlines.
American Association for the Advancement of Science Internship (Washington, D.C.)
- Science News Writer Intern – Science, a website and magazine owned by AAAS, is looking for interns to write and report for their daily online news site and Science Magazine.
Foundation for Individual Rights in Education Internship (Philadelphia)
- Summer Internship Program – FIRE is looking for undergraduate students interested in free speech activism to participate in its 10 week paid internship. Interns will assist with research and administrative projects, help with its annual conference, and contribute to their blog.
The Facebook Journalism Project Internship (various locations)
- Instagram Local News Fellowship – Facebook is looking for college seniors and recent graduates to participate in the summer fellowship program. Fellows will work as Instagram editors at local newsrooms across the country.
NPR Internships (various locations)
- Summer Internships – NPR is looking for undergraduates and recent graduates to apply for their summer 2020 internship. Interns at NPR have the opportunity to work alongside professionals in the field and get hands-on responsibilities in their roles.
Reply All Internship (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
- Summer/Fall Internships – Spotify is looking for reporting interns to work on the Reply All podcast. Interns will help report stories about surprising internet trends. The deadline for both the summer and fall internships is March 9.
STAT Summer Internship (Boston)
- Summer News Intern – National medicine and health publication STAT is looking for a current student or early-career journalist to cover breaking news, profiles, and trend stories for their website.
New York Public Radio Internship (New York)
- Brian Lehrer Show Summer 2020 Internship – WNYC is looking for an intern to pitch story ideas, research, edit audio and create social media content for the show.
- All Of It Summer 2020 Internship – NYPR’s All Of It summer intern will pitch story ideas for the show, and book and write questions for show guests. Interns will have journalism or arts and culture experience.
- Gothamist Editorial Intern Summer 2020 – Gothamist, an NYC news and culture website owned by NYPR, needs interns to research, fact check, proofread and transcribe stories for their website.
- Radiolab Summer 2020 Internship – Radiolab is looking for interns to pitch stories, provide research assistance, attend editorial meetings, and shadow producers.
University of Illinois Internship (Springfield, Illinois)
- Statehouse Reporter Intern – The University of Illinois is looking for spring graduates or young reporters to participate in their internship/master’s Public Affairs Reporting program. You’ll cover the statehouse press room, get a tuition waiver, and receive a stipend for the internship.
The Nation’s Victor S. Navasky Internship Program (New York)
- Editorial Internship – The Nation’s editorial interns fact check for the website and magazine, research stories, and participate in educational seminars.
No deadline listed
CNN News Internships (Various locations)
- Summer 2020 Internships – CNN is hiring interns in almost 100 various departments to assist correspondents and producers in planning and creating content for their several global news programs and websites.
Huffpost Internship (Washington, D.C.)
- Political Reporting Intern – Huffpost’s Political Reporting Intern will work with the politics team to research, pitch, and write stories for their website. Huffpost is looking for students currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs.
Reuters Internships (Various locations)
- 2020 Reuters Journalism Internship – Reuters is looking for passionate, curious aspiring journalists to apply for their 2020 internship. The opportunity will give interns an opportunity to do hands-on reporting on business, political and general news for a readership that consists of millions.
Star-Telegram Internship (Fort Worth, Texas)
- Multimedia Reporter Intern – The Fort Worth Star-Telegram is seeking a reporting intern to cover enterprise, breaking, entertainment, and lifestyle news for their digital platforms for eight to ten weeks over the summer.
WGN-TV Internship (Chicago)
- Morning Writing Intern – WGN-TV’s morning news writing intern writes newscast scripts, edits video, and works closely with reporters, producers, and editors. WGN-TV is looking for recent graduates, six months to a year out of college to apply.
- Web Producer News Intern – WGN-TV needs an intern to update wgntv.com. They’re looking for a current college student. This internship pays minimum wage, but interns are also eligible for course credit.
Did we miss any? Send internship information to Cameren Boatner by email at [email protected]
Want more stories like this? Sign up for our weekly newsletter. The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists and their advisers.