With the holiday season approaching, our Tulsa, OK personal injury attorneys explain why accidents tend to increase at this time of year.
The holiday season is right around the corner. Shopping, socializing, and traveling to see family and friends is all part of the fun, but it does create risk. Our Tulsa, OK personal injury attorneys explain how the holidays are one of the most common times of year for accidents to happen and some of the potential hazards to avoid.
Holiday Car Accident Risks
According to the National Safety Council, more caraccidents happen over the winter holiday season than at any time of the year. The increase in traffic and the number of shoppers, party goers, and out of town visitors on the road make crashes and collisions more likely to occur. Factors that increase the risk of holiday car accidents in Tulsa include:
- Distracted driving: Changing GPS settings, looking at holiday light displays, checking in with friends via texts or calls, and even talking to other passengers in your vehicle increases the likelihood of a crash.
- Drowsy driving: Pulling extra shifts at work, driving long hours to reach your destination, and an excess of social obligations can leave you running behind on sleep. Drowsy driving is a major risk over the holiday season and makes car accidents more likely to happen.
- Impaired driving: There is nothing wrong with enjoying a few drinks over the holiday season, but avoid getting behind the wheel. Being under the influence of alcohol, recreational drugs, or medications is a major cause of holiday car accidents in Tulsa.
- Speeding and other driving infractions: In your haste to complete holiday shopping or to meet up with friends, avoid speeding, running red lights, tailgating other drivers, or other dangerous behaviors that put you at risk.
Other Common Accidents During the Holidays
Car accidents are a major concern over the holidays but there are other types of mishaps that can cause serious harm as well. These include:
- Slips and falls: These are common in stores over the holiday season, as well as in hotels, restaurants, and other people’s homes. Even a relatively minor slip and fall can result in serious personal injuries.
- Injuries due to dangerous products:The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns that dangerous and defective productsare a major cause of injuries at the holidays. Use care in gifts you purchase and with products used around your home.
- Holiday decoration accidents: Getting struck by or against objects is common at this time of year due to poorly attached or assembled holiday decorations.
- Fires: Fireplaces and candles create ambiance at the holidays, but they also increase fire risks.
Contact Our Tulsa Personal Injury Attorneys
Holiday accidents can result in injuries that impact you for years into the future. When the reckless actions of others are to blame, Boettcher, Devinney, Ingle & Wicker helps you hold them accountable. To find out how to get the compensation you need to recover, contact our Tulsa personal injury attorneys and request a consultation today.