Previous Chemung County Courtroom Judge Christopher Baker gained election to the state Supreme Court in 2019, creating a emptiness in the county court.
Two candidates who are perfectly identified in the local authorized local community are vying to thrive Baker.
Ottavio “Otto” Campanella, a judge in Metropolis of Elmira Courtroom, is functioning for county courtroom on the Republican and Libertarian Party traces.
Damian Sonsire, who prosecutes situations in Family Courtroom for the Chemung County Attorney’s Workplace, is jogging on the Conservative and Independence Occasion tickets.
In 2020, all eligible residents can vote by absentee ballot for the reason that of a temporary legislation motivated by the COVID-19 pandemic. Voters can also just take gain of early voting polling destinations, as nicely as showing up in-man or woman on Election Day Nov. 3.
What to know at the polls in NY:Joe2020 hats are a no BLM shirts and MAGA hats are Alright
Facts about candidate Otto Campanella
- Campanella, 53, comes from a performing class background. His mother was a seamstress and his father was a farmer and railroad worker.
- Campanella earned his Bachelor of Arts Diploma from the State College of New York at Stony Brook. He acquired his legislation degree from Syracuse College Higher education of Legislation, and is admitted to observe regulation in New Jersey and New York.
- Campanella was in non-public follow for just about 20 many years, handling various facets of the legislation, including equally criminal defense and prosecution, civil law and relatives court docket observe. He served as an assistant community defender and also as assistant corporation counsel for the Metropolis of Elmira. He chaired the Chemung County Board of Ethics from 2007 to 2013.
- Campanella has been a entire-time judge in City of Elmira Court docket for more than 7 several years, and considering the fact that 2019, has also served as performing Chemung County Court and Loved ones Court docket judge.
Aspects about prospect Damian Sonsire
- Sonsire, 50, grew up in Chemung County, and his wife Christina is also an legal professional and member of the Chemung County Legislature.
- Sonsire graduated from Notre Dame Significant University, gained a Bachelor of Science diploma in criminal justice from Elmira Faculty, and earned his legislation degree from the College of Dayton Faculty of Law in Dayton, Ohio.
- Sonsire was an legal professional in Washington, D.C. regulation companies in advance of returning property to serve as a felony prosecutor for 17 years in the Chemung County District Attorney’s Business, interrupted only by a temporary stint as a law clerk in Chemung County Family members Court.
- Due to the fact 2017, Sonsire has served as an assistant county attorney, performing with the county legal professional, commissioner of social services and legislation enforcement companies on subjects together with abuse and neglect, juvenile delinquency, grownup protecting providers, short term help and other issues.
About Chemung County Courtroom
Though the county courtroom is mainly a trial courtroom, in the Third and Fourth Departments of condition Supreme Courtroom, county court also has appellate jurisdiction over instances originating in town, town and village courts. County judges are elected to 10-12 months terms.
When, how you can vote in 2020
There are 3 techniques you can vote in New York in 2020.
- Request an absentee ballot at absenteeballot.elections.ny.gov and vote by mail. If you’re requesting an absentee ballot for factors acquiring to do with COVID-19, make absolutely sure you decide the “short term disease” solution when requested for your reasoning.
- Vote right before Nov. 3: The early voting period of time in New York runs Oct. 24-Nov. 1.
- Vote in individual 6 a.m.-9 p.m. on Nov. 3 at your neighborhood polling site.
For extra information, go to chemungcountyny.gov, and less than “departments,” simply click on board of elections.